Serial Numbers and Part Numbers
I had an opportunity to create some serial numbers for a telecommunications
firm that made some power amps for a client. Here are some guidelines
I use for creating serial numbers. The same guide should also be applied
for part numbers.
- Never use the letter "O" because it is easy to confuse with the number
- Never use the small letter "l" (L) or the capital letter "I" ( i ) because
it may be confused with the number 1.
- All alpha characters should always be uppercase.
- A "Z" is questionable because it can be confused with a hand written "2".
- The letter "S" can be confused with a hand written number "5".
By following these guidlines you will save yourself problems that can occur
later on in the life cycle of the product.
Back To Tips, Guidelines, Articles